Thinking for the Future
We’re living in an era of mechanized intelligence, an age in which you’re probably going to find yourself in a workplace with diagnostic systems, different algorithms and computer-driven data analysis. If you want to thrive in this era, you probably want to be good at working with intelligent machines.
Merging technology and humans
Notes that without these mechanical/technological skill sets, a person will be unemployable. Among the thinking styles we will see in the coming year, the following are in the majority:
- "Freestylers" are people who understand the strengths and weaknesses of themselves and technology, adapting to work in the best of both worlds. The technology and the human work together, each compensating for the weaknesses of the other. The technology goes to work, and a person overrides only when deemed necessary based upon skills and knowledge.
- "Synthesizers" are people who are able to sort through and filter the excess of information in today's world of computers. This kind of synthesis requires that a person know the technology well enough to pull from it only the pertinent details to define a "pattern or story." To synthesize means to sort through and pull together a common thread.
- "Humanizers" are people with the advanced skill of making technology easier for others to relate to. We evolved to connect with other people, not machines, so this skill of humanizing is advanced and useful. People with this skill make technology more ergonomic and user-friendly.
- "Conceptual engineers" are people who are able to use technology to come up with creative ways to solve unanticipated and complex problems.
- "Motivators" are people who can spark extreme effort in employees who work in a deeply technological work environment. They must first be inwardly motivated, and have the extraordinary ability to kindle ambition in others.
- "Moralizers" are people who see employees as complex beings that cannot be reduced to machines, technology, or statistics. Technology strives for efficiency, overlooking the human factor. Moralizers are people who can instill morale and meaning in the hearts of employees working with impressive technology.
- "Greeters" are people with the ability to make customers and clients feel at home in a technological environment. A select few will have wealth and disposable income (no more than 15%), and greeters will create an environment of pampered, personal service that connects with the wealthy. They offer top of the line service to others.
- "Economizers" the wealthy will only make up about 15% of the population, and the remaining 85% will be people with less marketable skills than those above. They may struggle financially, but economizers will have a social and intellectual advantage. They will not make much money, but their thrift in a highly technological world will allow them to live comfortably.
- "Weavers" another segment of the 85% who are less financially fortunate will lack the ambition to create fulfilling lives for themselves. They represent "social disintegration" because weavers will drop out of the work force and drift. Many organizations and people will spring up to combat this entropy (providing employment opportunities in the process).
Interested? Click the title or image to read on.
Source is NYTimes.com
You might also enjoy:
- Smart tech dumbs us, says the Wall Street Journal: Find out how to power your brain instead
- 5 Reasons why social media are increasing intelligence
| || || |