Try "Location Boxing" to Get Your Brain to Switch Gears
For the past week, I’ve been taking an hour or so at the coffee shop near my office to knock out most of my email and communications. Then when I get back to the office, I stay out of email as much as possible. The experiment has made me realize that shaking up my work environment helps me stay more focused and productive.
Notes that there are completely different types of thinking that one uses in a day, a few of which are:
- Design-thinking: contemplating user interaction with design and visual layout.
- Coding-thinking: creating new features, constructing new ideas, and resolving problems.
- Business-thinking: communication that involves collaboration with workers within your office.
- Support-thinking: fixing problems for people, customer service, and replying to questions from clients.
While your on the job thinking may differ, the principles that follow still apply. Physical location influences the way you think, and by creating routines that place you in optimal locations for different types of work, you can make your day more productive.
The biggest task will finding the ideal location for the type of thinking you are doing, but here are some ideas for location boxing:
- Use different desk configurations and alter your office spaces.
- Find unused places in your building that are ideal for certain tasks that maybe require minimal distraction.
- Get out of the office for awhile with your mobile equipment: a park, plaza, or public space.
- Make use of coffee and sandwich shops that allow you to do a bit of work while taking a break at the same time.
- Be creative in coming up with your own spaces for your unique types of thinking.
Interested? Click the title or image to read on.
Source is Lifehacker.org
You might also enjoy:
- What you must know about thesis statements
- Beat writer's block with artistic flow and Jackson Pollock
- The only 2 tips you need to improve writing
- 10 Essential writing lessons from Albert Einstein quotes
- Will AI write like humans?
- Mind your intelligence, avoid sales pitches
Before you go, what strategies do you use to increase productivity and innovation? Thank you for being here, and you are awesome!