We blog to live fully with family and friends
I am a family centered blogger. This might seem a distraction, but those who acquire lasting happiness, find the source in home and family. Family centered means that you incorporate family into your blogging in many ways.
Like me, many bloggers write from home, and the business provides more intimacy with the family throughout the working day. Most bloggers confess openly that their writing and lives are flavored with the dialect of the family.
Balancing the fam and the blog
Some boundaries that are useful to create include:
- A blog posting routine: decide on the best time of day to block off time to research, prewrite, draft, rewrite, edit, and publish your daily blog posts. You can allow some flexibility here, but I have found through experience that the family will walk all over blogging time if you allow them. View your post writing time as your job.
- Predefined family routines: having said that, you must be family flexible. For example my blog posting block is from 5:00 AM to about 9:00 AM, but I get the children ready and off to school from 7:30 to 8:30. So I pause and focus on the family for that hour. I also schedule time for their arrival from school. My children's welcome home time is from 2:30 to 3:30 PM. I also get them going on their homework with a snack in hand. Dinner begins another family block from about 6:00 to 8:00 PM, which includes laying with the young girls while they go to sleep.
- Establish a closing hour: with a blog you could work 24 hours a day, but it would be neither healthy nor long lasting. Burning out as a blogger is a serious concern that threatens many writers. I usually work some more from 8:00 to 10:00 PM. Finding personal time is tough.
- Take advantage of the flexibility of self-employment: boundaries are important, but so is the freedom of the blogging lifestyle.
I am blessed to have a blogging family, and the unity and happiness in the Hammond Home compensates for a few missed deadlines and a few missed ball games.
You might also enjoy these create works:
- Tho' we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven [image & text]
- Make peace and kindness go viral! [image and commentary]
- You must know how Whitman changed American innovation [image and text]